Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Morning Journal - Management Tip!

This is the system I came up with to make sure that I see every students journal and have a little conference with them each week. I use to have my students hand in their journals every Friday but then it was SO hard to make the time to go through and read each one.  Plus, then my little darling students weren't there for the feedback.  


This is what my new system looks like.




Things to notice:

* The date is at the very top.

*  Even though I really want them to be doing all of these things EVERY time they write, I just have one reminder that they need to work on that day.  This space will alternate with things like spaces between words, ending marks, complete idea, capitals in the right places, good handwriting.  

*I have the writing prompt in the big red box.

*Then I have all of my students divided up into a manageable amount for me.  I check between four to five journals a day.  This way I am able to get to everyone and they each get a little personal time with me to talk about their morning writing each week.  


I'm going to ask the hubby to send me the morning journal labels so I can share them with you!  They are on his computer :)

Hope this is helpful!

5 comments:

Rachelle said...

I love that idea! Then, your kiddos don't get overwhelmed!!!!
-Rachelle
whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

That's a very good idea. There's just so much we want them to do with their writing, that they must feel overwhelmed half the time, too.

❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful

Barbara said...

Hi again, Malarie!
I have a question for you. Do you know how you got the shadow box around your blog page? I really like it and want to add it to mine. I've been surfing the net for instructions, but can't find anything that works. Of course, I'm still learning this stuff big time, but was wondering if it was as easy as putting some code in the CSS box.
Thanks.

❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful

beleyne@gmail.com

Erika said...

Love this idea. Journals can be so overwhelming for me. Thanks.

2B Honey Bunch
The Best Endings

Lisa Lizak and Beth Wright said...

What a great idea!! This goes great with conferring!!!